Enrolling in Engineering Education
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, engineering technology, or computer science discipline.
- Minimum GPA (or equivalent) of 3.0 (out of 4.0) during the most recent 60 semesters (or 90 quarter credits) of college instruction.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: The requirement for submission of TOEFL or IELTS scores is waived if 1) the applicant’s native language is English, or 2) the applicant’s undergraduate courses were taught in English.
For applying for a Ph.D. study, applicants are expected to have earned a Master’s degree, which can be in any discipline. The requirement for submission of GRE scores is waived for all Ph.D. and M.S. applications. Prior teaching experience and publications are preferred, but not required.
The Department of Engineering Education admits and funds selected students on a rolling basis. Applicants can submit their applications anytime. They are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible, typically 3-4 months before spring or fall semester starts. International students are encouraged to apply much earlier to allow sufficient time for visa applications.
Applicants must submit an online application to the Utah State University Graduate School at https://gradschool.usu.edu/apply/. A complete application includes:
- Online application form
- Official transcript of bachelor’s courses
- Official transcript of Master’s courses (if applicable)
- Names and e-mail addresses of three professional references who will be contacted by the USU Graduate School after the online application form is submitted
- Resume or curriculum vitae (i.e., detailed form of resume) highlighting your relevant qualifications and achievements, and
- Typed, single-space written response to each of the following prompts (1-2 pages for each prompt):
- Background: How does your background (work, study and life experiences) prepare and inspire you to pursue a graduate degree? Why are you passionate about engineering education?
- Career Goals: What are your career goals? How will a graduate degree further those goals? What do you know about engineering education practices and/or engineering education research?
- Why USU: Why is USU the place for you to pursue your EED graduate program? How are your interests aligned with the research conducted within EED? Which professors would you like to work with and why?
International students must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. The requirement for submission of TOEFL or IELTS scores is waived if 1) the applicant’s native language is English OR 2) the applicant’s undergraduate courses were taught in English. The requirement for submission of GRE scores is waived for all applications. For details, see additional admissions requirements at https://gradschool.usu.edu/apply/.