Master of Engineering Requirements
The Master of Engineering (ME) degree is designed for students with a BS degree in ECE who would like to increase their technical depth in engineering. Students select a specialization in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
To obtain the specialization in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, at least 9 credits of ECE coursework must be taken in the desired specialization area.
Requirements for the Degree
- Successful completion of a minimum of 30 credits (beyond the Bachelor of Science Degree) of graduate-level course work, at or above 5000-level. Must receive a grade of “C” or better in each course while maintaining a graduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- At least 18 credits of ECE coursework must be completed at or above the 5000-level.
- At least one ECE depth course (having a graduate-level prerequisite) is required.
- At least 15 credits of 6000-level or above coursework are required.
- At least three credits of Professional Experience (ECE 6250 – Internship or a substantial lab-intensive course) are required. Only three credits of ECE 6250 – Internship are allowed and must have prior approval. All ECE approved substantial lab-intensive courses are listed on the back of this page.
- A maximum of 12 credits outside of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department may be allowed based upon a comprehensive academic plan. Courses must be approved by the Engineering ME advisor.
- No more than two ECE 5930/6930/7930 – Special Topics courses are allowed unless otherwise approved by the ME Advisor, Graduate Program Coordinator, and Department Head.
- No more than three credits of ECE 5930/6930/7930 – Independent Study may be counted toward the ME degree. Registration for ECE 5930/6930/7930 – Independent Study requires prior approval (by the responsible instructor, the ME Advisor, and the Department Head) of the intended course work, deliverables, and credits.
- No more than three credits of ECE 6250 – Internship may be counted toward the ME degree. Registration for ECE 6250 – Internship requires prior approval (the ME Advisor and the Department Head) of a description of your project with defined deliverables, signed by your Company Intern Supervisor, ECE Internship Coordinator, and Student. Only one semester is allowed.
- The student’s Program of Study and any subsequent deviations must be approved by the ME Advisor.