Nominate an Undergraduate Faculty Advisor of the Year
Submission Deadline: January 26, 2018
The Undergraduate Faculty Advisor of the Year Award is given each year to recognize and emphasize excellence in academic advising. Other teaching and scholarly activities may become a consideration in the selection process, but the main emphasis will be on excellence in academic advising as judged by faculty and students.
The dean is to appoint a committee with students, faculty, and administrative representation to select an outstanding advisor from the college. The Faculty Evaluation Committee then selects a "Faculty Advisor of the Year" from the eight college level nominees. The recipient of this award will be announced and recognized at the annual Robins Awards on Saturday, April 16, 2016. The recipient receives a $1,000 award.
The following criteria for selection of the nominees are recommended:
- The nominee should be serving in a full-time faculty position. Staff members who work as full-time advisors should not be nominated.
- Availability to advisees.
- Frequency of contact with advisees.
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals.
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Number of students assigned for advising purposes.
- Evidence of involvement in student clubs, organizations, or leadership development.
- Because so many individuals are potentially deserving of the Undergraduate Faculty Advisor of the Year Award, past recipients will not be considered.
- A 1-2 page statement from the candidate summarizing his or her objectives as an advisor, how these objectives are met, and the number and type of students advised per annum.
- A 1-2 page letter from the department head explaining the candidate's role and impact as an advisor.
- Evidence of extracurricular advising (clubs, etc.).
- The number of students advised per annum.
- A short biography (2 paragraph maximum).
- Department Heads will fill out the online form to submit one nominee for consideration.
- A committee appointed by the Dean will review nominees and recommend an individual for the College Faculty Advisor of the Year Award.
Recipient will receive $500 in account held in the Dean’s Office to use for travel, books, equipment, or other professional development needs.