Skip to main content

Graduate Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the program?

Before applying, you must first complete (or nearly complete) an undergraduate degree, take the GRE, and (for international students) take the TOEFL. To apply, go to the Graduate School's website . Make sure you have fulfilled all the requirements listed on that page.

What are the admission requirements for the University?

The ranking of students is based on the GRE, GPA, and other application information. The Graduate School requires a GPA of 3.0 and a computer-based TOEFL score of 213 for international students, which is equivalent to an internet-based score of 80 and a paper-based score of 550. The Graduate School's minimum criteria for the verbal and quantitative areas of the GRE percentile score are 40%; however, the department may require higher percentile scores depending upon qualifications of the applicant pool. Candidates who take the IELTS exam in lieu of TOEFL need to have a minimum of 6 overall score.

Do I have to take the GRE to apply? What if I've taken it more than once?

Yes. All applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree, taken the GRE, and (for international students) taken the TOEFL. You may begin the application process without your scores, but your application will remain incomplete until the official scores are received. Only those students whose application is complete may be considered for acceptance. The most recent GRE test scores are used whether they are higher or lower than previous scores.

What are the deadlines for submitting my application?

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering's admission deadlines are:

July 1st for Spring semester which begins in January, and
January 1st for Fall semester which begins at the end of August.
Please note that these deadlines are earlier than those of the School of Graduate Studies. For more information about applying please see the graduate application site

What application materials can you send me?

None. The Graduate School no longer accepts paper applications at all. Please go to the application website for instructions on how to complete the online application. Please note that there is a $55 application fee for both international and domestic students.

If I send you my test scores, can you tell me if I should apply?

No. We cannot pre-assess applications. Our acceptances are based on the quality of the pool of applicants and the number of openings available. So you will still need to submit an application to the Graduate School.

How do I apply for financial aid? Is there a separate form?

All applicants are considered for financial aid. No additional form is necessary. When all of your documents are received and the application packet is complete, your application is then forwarded to the department where the ECE Graduate Committee reviews the applications for acceptance and financial awards. See the financial aid page for more details.

Can I be accepted as a PhD student without a Masters degree?

No. All PhD applicants must have already completed a Masters degree. We cannot make any exceptions to this rule.

What are all the required documents for applying?

When you apply make sure you submit the following documents:

GRE Scores
TOEFL Scores (International students only)
All transcripts
Letters of recommendatoin
Please send all these documents to the School of Graduate Studies at the following address:

School of Graduate Studies
0900 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-0900

What is the university code for USU? What is the ECE Department's code?

Utah State University's ETS code is 4857. There is no department code because all scores for all graduate applicants for the university are sent to the same department.

How much does it cost to attend?

Tuition costs depends on residency status and the number of credit hours you are taking. The registrar's office has a Tuition and fees chart for each school year that you can view by going here: payment website and clicking on your applicable year's Tuition & Fee table from the top right of the page.

What graduate degrees are offered through the department?

The following graduate degrees are available from the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department. Click on any of the following links to view the requirements for the degree.

Master of Engineering (ME)

MS in Electrical Engineering

MS in Computer Engineering

PhD in Electrical Engineering

What focus areas are available?

The following focus areas are currently available:

Space Systems / Optics
Control Systems
Signals / Communications
Computer Systems
Solid State Electronics
EM / Microwaves
For more information or for specific inquiries, please email Click to view e-mail address

To view details on the courses for each focus area, view the Flow of Courses document.

How long will my degree take?

Masters degrees usually take about 2-3 years with a maximum time limit of 6 years. Doctorates of Philosophy usually take about 4-6 years with an 8-year limit. The length of individual degrees depend on the research area selected and the number of classes taken per semester.

All other questions...

For answers to all other questions, Please e-mail ECE Graduate

Got a question you don't see here that you think is common?

If you have a question you think should be answered along with other frequently asked questions about the graduate program, go ahead and send it to the Department. Thanks!